Although small in size, CDS works with several other organizations and individuals, using their capacity and appropriate skills to carry out significant parts of projects under the management of CDS. All projects are managed by senior infrastructure experts. Technical experts drawn from an extensive network of professionals and specialists from Africa and other parts of the world are contracted from time to time for specific projects. The profiles of two of our senior project managers and consultants are given below.
Richard has a BSc Eng (Hons) (University of Capetown 1967), is a past Chairman of Zimbabwe Association of Consulting Engineers and a former board member of Scott Wilson International.
He has 46 years of experience in various countries in Southern Africa on all sizes of infrastructure work including rural roads, railways, bridges, airports, township developments, emergency repairs, industrial infrastructure projects, and rural electrification, both in the public and private sector, several being complex works requiring large multi disciplinary teams.
Richard currently works as a consultant predominantly in the following fields:
- Preparation of bidding and contract documents using all four current FIDIC Conditions of Contract, including traditional contractor consultant and design/build contracts
- Evaluation of tenders, negotiations with bidders and contract preparation.
- Monitoring of projects in the Roads and Energy Sectors funded by donor agencies. Services cover the monitoring of projects through the process of funding, design, tendering and construction, the monitoring of project progress including the funders project disbursement projections. Inputs include appraisal of procurement documentation, advice on procurement, advice on the handling of potential and actual claims during construction, and assistance with the appraisal of those designs for which he has the expertise.
- Advice on difficulties encountered during construction, and dealing with claims and contractual disputes.
- Dispute Resolution
- Management of supervision of rural road and bridge construction projects, including bridge repair work, emergency repairs, contract administration, quality overview and advice to Clients in dealing with contractual difficulties
- Advice on appropriate standards for rural road improvement and development
- Training and mentoring of Engineers carrying out design and supervision of civil projects.
During his career, Richard has had significant exposure to the administration of engineering contracts in various countries in Africa (south of the equator), with experience in the interpretation of contract conditions in respect of the many difficulties that can be encountered during the execution of infrastructure projects.
Rob has a Masters degree in Civil Engineering from the University of Natal. He is a member of the Institution of Civil Engineers (UK) and the Zimbabwe Institution of Engineers. He is based in Harare, Zimbabwe, but has worked in several other countries in sub-Sahara Africa including Malawi, Mozambique, Zambia, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Swaziland and South Sudan. Most of his work has been with international donor agencies. He has 30 years of experience.
Between 2008 and 2014 he has acted as Technical Manager for the DFID-funded Africa Community Access Programme (AFCAP). This is a programme of research and knowledge dissemination for the rural transport sector in Africa. Particular attention is being given to developing appropriate design standards for rural roads, establishing more effective maintenance systems, and improving tender documentation and specifications. He is now involved in consultancy work for government agencies, donors and non-governmental organisations for the design, implementation, evaluation and audit of road improvement and maintenance programmes. He has contributed to the development and maintenance of roads in game reserves and other ecologically sensitive areas, and has provided advice to government ministries and donors on all aspects of the implementation of programmes for community public works, disaster management and post conflict recovery. He is an experienced project manager and team leader.